Our amino acid analysis service
Building on our long-standing commitment in providing comprehensive and excellent analytical and synthesis services, we are pleased to offer our amino acid analysis service, accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 to clients worldwide from our UK-based ISO 9001 laboratory.
Our amino acid analysis service will enable you to determine the total protein content and to quantify accurately all 20 amino acids as well as some non-standard amino acids in a wide range of sample types, including samples from GMP processes.
Why work with us?
For almost 50 years, our amino acid analysis service has helped our clients:
- ensure their samples are compliant with their regulatory or quality control requirements during manufacturing;
- accelerate innovation in research and new product development;
- determine the net protein content of synthesised peptides accurately.
“The service is quick and reliable as always, and the customer service are helpful and always quick to respond.”
A research scientist from a global manufacturer for animal nutrition and crop science
High technical expertise across many industries
Having provided amino analysis service for almost five decades, we have built long-term relations with clients across many industries through our high technical expertise and professionalism, the reliability and accuracy of the results we provide, and because of our constant attentiveness to our client’s requirements. We routinely work with:
- Individual and global food and feed manufacturers;
- Fertiliser manufacturers;
- Raw material suppliers;
- Food testing laboratories,
- Nutraceutical industries;
- Specialist dietary providers;
- Academic and biotech scientists.
Accurate post-column detection method
Our method can be applied to most samples that contain proteins or amino acids and has the advantage of not requiring pure samples. Examples of samples we can analyse include, but are not limited to:
- dietary supplements;
- food, feed and drink samples;
- cultivated meat;
- synthesised peptides and proteins;
- cell culture media / spent media;
Flexibility around bespoke projects
Highly skilled and flexible, we can adapt our methods to our client’s specifications for specific product testing. Testing to European Pharmacopeia 2.2.56 is available upon request.
“The people I interacted with were helpful and patient. Any information I requested was received in half a day maximum which was excellent. The results received after completion of testing were exactly what I needed and in a timely manner.”
Development scientist from a global life Sciences and Consumer Care company
Details of our amino acid analysis service:
We offer two types of analysis:
- Total amino acid analysis, which quantifies the amino acids bound within proteins along with those present as individual unbound units.
- Free amino acid analysis, which determines the amount of each amino acid not bound to a protein.
Our amino analysis service is accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 standard to consistently meet customers’ requirements and to give you full confidence in the results obtained.
We operate with a fast turnaround and can offer an optional Express Service when results are required urgently.
Results are provided in a clear and easy-to-understand format, with our team always on hand to provide expert interpretation and advice and professional assistance throughout your project.
Main advantages of our amino acid analysis method
We use the most robust amino acid analysis method available: separation of a mixture of amino acids using ion exchange chromatography followed by post-column photometric detection. This makes us one of few laboratories in the world operating to such exacting standards with ISO 17025:2017 accreditation. Main advantages of our amino acid analysis method:
- Contrary to Kjeldahl and Dumas methods, our method can detect proteinogenic nitrogen from non-protein nitrogen and does not give false high readings.
- Derivatisation of the amino acids with a detection compound (ninhydrin) occurs post-column. It is specific and does not yield multiple UV-active compounds as per pre-column methods which can render the interpretation of the results difficult and less accurate.
- Our method is suitable to quantify accurately all 20 amino acids, non-standard amino acids and nitrogen-containing compounds such as Taurine.
We routinely analyse the following compounds:
- Aspartic acid
- Glutamic acid
With additional analytical techniques, we can also quantify the total quantity of hydroxyproline, cysteine and tryptophan in samples.
Get in touch today
Talk to our chemists to discuss your requirements, or to request a copy of our technical brochure:
Get more information
If you’d just like some more information on our amino acid analysis services, you can request a copy of our technical document.
Written by our expert technical staff, it provides information on the analysis technique and provides useful information on sample preparation and submission, including the following:
- The benefits of using AltaBioscience and information about what you can expect to receive
- Information about Amino Acid Analysis options and applications
- Information about methodology
- A breakdown of service options
- Information about sample requirements and considerations